Last Gasps


The South’s science-based team!

Our trained investigators are here to believe you.  Most importantly, we are here to solve the  matter what it takes. Our services are always FREE.

The Exorcism of LaToya Ammons

Disclaimer: This work has been completed as an educational tool for students of history, religious and paranormal studies. The author wishes to discourage any use of this work in conjunction with paranormal field investigations of demons.

Written by Kyle T. Cobb, Jr.

Nos tibi credere.

A  Case History

The Exorcism of

Latoya Ammons

In November 2011, Latoya Ammons moved into 3860 Carolina Street in Gary, Indiana. Initially, life in the rental house with her mother and three children was nothing extraordinary. The single-story had three bedrooms, a living room, one bathroom, hardwood floors and a small, open-style kitchen. A door in the kitchen led to a basement with broken concrete and dirt floors. The house was built in 1926 and was first occupied by a newlywed couple that lived there all their lives. After the couple’s deaths, the house was sold and was used as a rental property. In 2004, Charles Reed purchased the property and continued to rent it.

According to Ammons’s mother, Rosa Campbell, strange events began happening in December 2011 when large horseflies repeatedly swarmed around the Carolina street porch.  "This is not normal," said Campbell, "We killed them and killed them and killed them, but they kept coming back."

Next came reports of sounds from the basement stairs and the creaking of the basement doors. Ammons and Campbell both heard the sounds and asserted that they believed these sounds to be footsteps on the stairs. It is also important to note that these sounds are consistent with an aging home undergoing temperature fluctuation.

Campbell reported awakening to see a “shadowy figure” in her room. She leaped out of bed and discovered “large, wet boot prints.” Campbell reported having this experience multiple times according to the report by Reverend Michael Maginot that accompanied the request for permission to perform the exorcism.  

On 10 March 2012, according to claims by Campbell and Ammons, at around 2 a.m., Campbell was called into her bedroom by Ammons. According to their account of events, Ammons’s 12-year-old daughter was levitating above the bed unconscious. Several others in the house gathered around the girl and prayed. Eventually, the girl descended into the bed. She awoke with no memory of the event. It is important to note that there are several versions of this story. In her interview with Inside Edition, Ammons did not use the word “levitated” in describing the event. Instead Ammons said, “It [a demon] attacked and raised her up off the bed, snatched her up off the bed.” If the action was a quick flight instead of prolonged floating, it is possible that the girl could generate the lurch herself.

Ammons and Campbell allegedly tried to contact multiple churches in the area but most of the churches would not offer guidance. Finally one church official listened to Campbell and Ammons. The church official recommended cleaning the “home with bleach and ammonia, then use oil to draw crosses on every door and window” and the pouring of “olive oil on her three children's hands and feet, then smeared oil in the shape of crosses on their foreheads.”

At some unspecified point, two self-proclaimed psychics (or clairvoyants) were contacted and they claimed that there were over 200 demons living in the house. They suggested that Ammons move. Because she could not afford to move, the psychics recommended the saging/sulfuring of the entire house as well as the construction of an altar in the house basement.

Covering a small table with a white sheet, a white candle and a statue of Mary, Joseph and Jesus were placed on top next to an opened a Bible displaying Psalm 91.

Allegedly for three days after the Sage ritual, the house was quiet.

The allegedly, the children and Ammons were possessed. The children’ eyes were said to bulge, their voices became deep and diabolical smiles were seen on their faces. The 7-year-old sat in a closet talking to an invisible boy and once flew out of the bathroom as if he'd been thrown. The 9-year-old son described being killed. The 12-year-old daughter would also tell mental counselors “that she sometimes felt as if she were being choked and held down so she couldn't speak or move” and that voices told her that “she'd never see her family again and wouldn't live another 20 minutes.” The 12-year-old also allegedly received a wound to the head requiring stitches when a headboard slammed into her.

For her part, Ammons’ claimed that she “felt weak, lightheaded and warm when she was possessed. Her body shook, and she said she felt out-of-control.”

On 19 April 2012, the Ammons consulted a family physician named Geoffrey Onyeukwu. While Onyeukwu told the Indianapolis Star that in "Twenty years, and I've never heard anything like that in my life… I was scared myself when I walked into the room,” in his medical notes he stated that the family had "delusions of ghost in home" and "hallucinations." There were also additional comments reaffirming the belief that there was a "history of ghost at home" and that the family was "delusional."

During the examination, according to the DCS report, Ammons' sons screamed obscenities at Onyeukwu in demonic voices. It was also asserted that the 7-year-old boy was "lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him." Both boys lost consciousness and 9-1-1 was called. According to Onyeukwu, seven or eight police officers along with multiple ambulances responded. The boys were taken to Methodist Hospital in Gary, Indiana.

While the 9-year-old awoke and acted rationally, the 7-year-old awoke in a screaming rage requiring restraint.

Department of Child Services

The hospital reported the family to DCS with allegations of possible child abuse or neglect.  It was also asserted in the complaint that Ammons was possibly suffering from mental illness and that the children were performing for their mother.

DCS family case manager Valerie Washington was the initial investigator assigned. Washington’s report stated that hospital personnel examined Ammons and her children and found them to be healthy and free of marks or bruises. A hospital psychiatrist evaluated Ammons and determined she was of "sound mind."

However, during the interview in the hospital with the family, Washington reported that the 7-year-old boy began growling and his eyes rolled back in his head. He then grabbed his older brother's throat and began choking him until medical staff separated the two.

During a subsequent interview with the children and Campbell, as well as nurse Willie Lee Walker, the 7-year-old again began to growl. He threatened his brother with "It's time to die… I will kill you" in a reportedly unnatural voice.

Washington's original DCS report which was supported by Walker stated the 9-year-old had a "weird grin" and walked backward up a wall to the ceiling. He then flipped over Campbell, landing on his feet. He never let go of his grandmother's hand.

According to Walker, "He walked up the wall, flipped over her and stood there… There's no way he could've done that."

During police questioning, Washington was asked if were possible that the boy had run up the wall, as though performing an acrobatic trick. Washington replied that the boy "glided backward on the floor, wall and ceiling."

While various media reports make it sound as though the child were defying gravity. In direct interviews with the hospital staff, it was revealed that the:

boy put first one foot, then the other, onto the wall of a small hospital exam room, his grandmother, Rosa Campbell, was holding his hand or both of his hands. Thus the laws of physics were not contravened. The boy was obviously supported, braced by the rigid arms of Campbell who no doubt instinctively steadied him and helped him maintain his balance as he progressed, perhaps to the ceiling, 'and he never let go. He flipped over and landed on his feet in front of the grandmother and sat down in the chair. A few minutes later he looked up as if he was back to himself'. In short, this was a stunt of an agile boy, not in the least proof of the supernatural.

Both Washington and Walker ran out of the room according to the police report. Dr. Richardson was summoned was summoned but did not believe the events as they were described. He asked the boy to walk up the wall again but the boy claimed no memory of the event.

Walker thought the boy's behavior was the result of a mental illness but the police report quoted Washington asserting that she believed there was an "evil influence" at work.

The 7-year-old remained at the hospital with Ammons while Campbell took the other children to a relative’s home.

The Next day Washington and DCS took emergency custody of the children without a court order citing that "all of the children were expericing (sic) spiritual and emotional distress.”

The Exorcist

On 20 April 2012, Reverend Michael Maginot, a priest at St. Stephen, Martyr Parish, in Merrillville, Indiana, received a call from the hospital chaplain David Neville asking him to perform an exorcism on the 9-year-old son.

On 22 April 2012 at 6:30pm, Maginot interviewed the family at the Carolina Street house for several hours. During the course of the interview, Campbell pointed out a flickering light bulb. Each time Maginot approached it, the flickering stopped. He attributed the flickering to a demonic presence. Campbell also pointed out movement of the Venetian blinds in the kitchen when allegedly there was no air flow. Maginot also reported wet footprints throughout the living room. When Ammons complained of a headache, Maginot touched her head with a crucifix and she began convulsing.

Maginot told the family he was convinced that they were being tormented by demons. The priest told Ammons that she was possessed and that the house in which she and her children lived had become cursed as a result of a hex placed on her. According to Maginot, “‘I think there was a curse placed on the mother, that she was the focus, possibly by an ex-boyfriend or his wife, and that combined with some tragedy and perhaps occult practices that had taken place in that house before and that had opened a portal.”

He also asserted that there were also ghosts in the house. He then blessed the house with prayers and Holy Water but advised the family to leave.

Surprisingly, Maginot never determined if the children were possessed. In fact, according to an interview with Bill O'Reilly on 29 January 2014, Maginot said:

Actually, I have never met any of the children.  The first time I heard about the incident was after the boy walked up the wall backwards...  I was in my parish, conducting a bible study, when I got the call, and they called me in to do an exorcism... when I went to do the interview, at the home, with the mother and the grandmother, it was a four-hour interview, and the first two hours were basically getting information on all the occurrences leading up to the incident... Well, the two boys and the girl, the one boy was put into a lockdown psychological children's ward, and the other two were taken to the Carmelite sisters who take care of foster children.  And so they were taken away from the parents, the mother and the grandmother, and so I didn't have access to them.  And the mother, I found out at the very end, was also possessed.  I put the crucifix on her forehead, and she began to convulse.

Following the meeting with Maginot, Ammons and Campbell moved in with relatives.

< Back

LaToya Ammons 2

LaToya Ammons

Rosa Campbell

The Michel family with Anneliese at back left.

Geoffrey Onyeukwu

Methodist Hospital in Gary, Indiana

Reverend Michael Maginot